DaVinci Skin Tone 1: Party

This scene features a lot of people showing a lot of skin. At first, it was difficult using the qualifier to select the skin from most of the people but by selecting new areas and using the feather tool I seem to have selected every piece of skin shown (Fig 1). I then went out and tried to match the skin colour to the skin tone indicator within the Vectorscope (Fig 1). This was done by using the colour wheels. Once this had been done I then sent to colour grade the rest of the scene. As it was at a party and outside I presumed it to be summer, with that in mind I decided to make the black colours darker and then redder. This was to make the other colours stand out more and for it looks more hot and summery.

I then decided if I could match the skin tones even if I change it to a prominently red scene to a more green one. This just made the scene look like it was part of a Twilight film.

I feel looking back I’ve made the skin too red. Because the blacks are a lot darker it could be possible the skin stands out a lot more than it should.

Figure 1
Skin tones

Below are links to two of the tutorials I followed:

I also used tutors in workshops to help understand skin tones.